Did we loose some Badges?

General Chat

I would posit that they never should have been there in the first place.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Probably not, but they've been there for 3-5 years. Later he made holiday specific ones.

I suppose an argument could be made that if someone like me were actually trying to collect badges, I would have an advantage over you because I have some that you can't obtain.
Really, it just depends how competitive you think they actually are. I doubt Eric intended anything beyond something fun to strive for on a personal level, but perhaps it can be seen as unfair if comparing to one another.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
Regardless of his original intent, badges are the #1 feature of the site now. Read all of the Member of the Month interviews, we all say badges are the main draw. Look at the home page of GTN (when signed out), Eric knows what people are using. Badges displayed second, only after they fact that you can sync your XBL profile, ahead of the fact that you actually can have a profile. There are enough users here who care about badge, even if they aren't trying to be #1 on the leaderboard, that Eric can create badges to drive users to features. Some may stick, other might not, but this is free advertising.

Personally, I think he should be making more badges, adding a few each month to keep people engaged.
Probably not, but they've been there for 3-5 years. Later he made holiday specific ones.

Regardless of his original intent, badges are the #1 feature of the site now. Read most of the Member of the Month interviews, we mostly say badges are the main draw. Look at the home page of GTN (when signed out), Eric knows what people are using. Badges displayed second, only after they fact that you can sync your XBL profile, ahead of the fact that you actually can have a profile. There are enough users here who care about badge, even if they aren't trying to be #1 on the leaderboard, that Eric can create badges to drive users to features. Some may stick, other might not, but this is free advertising.

Personally, I think he should be making more badges, adding a few each month to keep people engaged.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Fixed that for you.
Fixed that for you.
Originally Posted by futiles
Only the second edited needed to be made. You'd still need to read all of them.
Only the second edited needed to be made. You'd still need to read all of them.
Smile 3 5 7 9
Or even buy it in poster form, to keep by your computer for reference...

The only one of those that regularly gets me is "It's". I always want to make that the possessive of it. Fortunately I pause and think "it's is always a contraction, do I mean it is?" and don't usually post it wrong. I believe I read somewhere that definitely was one of the most screwed up words on your iPhone because it will not auto-correct to definitely. Something like that, I dunno.
Going forward they should be considered much like the X1 challenges that are time sensitive. Just another added incentive to log in to the site everyday. I liked the concept of those badges being time sensitive to only a year, it may hurt newcomers but there are still a lot of badges to earn although Kaens and Fsh are running away with them.
Christmas 2008 (Retired)
Christmas 2010 (Retired)
Christmas 2012 (Retired)

As the current badge leader, it's my responsibility to know these things.
Yup, those were removed in favor of the Christmas badge that was added last year. It's recurring now as opposed to those earlier versions which were select years. Only a handful of users had them (including myself) since we were so small back then.
loose - 1. not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached
2. (of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely

lose - 1. be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
2. become unable to find (something or someone).

smh......
Originally Posted by Preludecris
Thanks for pointing it out as I didn't even notice I had placed the extra o into the word.
No, I obviously had them because I logged in. No one would have them unless they were earned at the time.
It's clear I'm not worried about my badge total, I just thought I'd bring it up.
If you had them, then you should still have them. Just because everyone else wasn't around doesn't mean you should LOSE them. I went to San Diego last year and missed the Destiny Beta Badge. I'm not going to get it, I shouldn't get it and I'm not complaining. It just is and that is how those other badges should be. Retired should just mean no one else can acquire them after a certain date, the same way polls are closed after x amount of days.
I suppose an argument could be made that if someone like me were actually trying to collect badges, I would have an advantage over you because I have some that you can't obtain.
Really, it just depends how competitive you think they actually are. I doubt Eric intended anything beyond something fun to strive for on a personal level, but perhaps it can be seen as unfair if comparing to one another.
That should not matter, either you get them when they are available or you don't. You can argue that someone who has been on the site four years more then someone that joins today has an unfair advantage in gaining the yearly badges and always will.
I agree with that statement. It was nice getting a big batch of badges a couple of weeks ago, but a couple a month would be better. It was what? A good 2 months between that batch and the previous badge.
Sometimes, we can learn from humor...
Originally Posted by futiles
Haha, who new this was such a huge problem. I'll be in the barrel if someone need me.
Haha, who new this was such a huge problem. I'll be in the barrel if someone need me.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
*knew, *needs
*knew, *needs
Fucking Hell...
Fucking Hell...
I thought you were just trolling Futiles...
*knew, *needs
Fucking Hell...
hahaha omg that was good.
If you had them, then you should still have them. Just because everyone else wasn't around doesn't mean you should LOSE them. I went to San Diego last year and missed the Destiny Beta Badge. I'm not going to get it, I shouldn't get it and I'm not complaining. It just is and that is how those other badges should be. Retired should just mean no one else can acquire them after a certain date, the same way polls are closed after x amount of days.
This was exactly my point.
the christmas badges were retired last summer so theres 3 others that r still missing

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account