Game missing from "Lord of the Rings" series listing

Issues & Bug Reports

Found 29 posts - Go to Last Post

Edit2: And yes, I'm only arguing because I'm off work today and don't feel like turning my console on yet. Filling time.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Well, if you came to the dark side and played some Destiny, who knows, you might enjoy it... You would have been playing all day.
I got the Lord of the Rings box set of books. It came with The Hobbit included. It's part of the same storyline. I would have thought it would be included in the game set. I always thought of them as one big story.
Originally Posted by Buckswana
Hobbit was ret-conned to make it fit with the LotR trilogy in later editions (so says wikipedia)!
Last edited 09-23-2014 at 12:32 AM by Kaens.
Of course, if we're going to pull from Wikipedia, let's not forget this section:

Revisions

In December 1937, The Hobbit's publisher, Stanley Unwin, asked Tolkien for a sequel. In response Tolkien provided drafts for The Silmarillion, but the editors rejected them, believing that the public wanted "more about hobbits". Tolkien subsequently began work on The New Hobbit, which would eventually become The Lord of the Rings, a course that would not only change the context of the original story, but lead to substantial changes to the character of Gollum.
In the first edition of The Hobbit, Gollum willingly bets his magic ring on the outcome of the riddle-game, and he and Bilbo part amicably. In the second edition edits, to reflect the new concept of the ring and its corrupting abilities, Tolkien made Gollum more aggressive towards Bilbo and distraught at losing the ring. The encounter ends with Gollum's curse, "Thief! Thief, Thief, Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!" This presages Gollum's portrayal in The Lord of the Rings.
So, if the Lord of the Rings was originally supposed to be "the New Hobbit".... well, you know where I'm going here.

And hey, it is still Monday after all Big Grin
Okay it's Tuesday and I'm back at work (thus not arguing for the fun of it) - the Hobbit games should totally be in the series.
Okay it's Tuesday and I'm back at work (thus not arguing for the fun of it) - the Hobbit games should totally be in the series.
Originally Posted by Kaens
I vote the same, regardless of the semantics of whether or not the title makes sense exactly.
I suppose that the real question here is what the actual intent of the badge was. Did Eric intend the badge to represent only the book itself or was it intended to encompass the series / world that was written about in both? Was the use of "Lord of the Rings" for the game series used simply because the story series is better recognized by that name, much like the "Rambo" movie series, which actually started with "First Blood" (1982), but is referred to by the sequel name(s), "Rambo" (Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985), Rambo III (1988), and Rambo (2008))... even the 1986 cartoon was named for the main character, "Rambo: The Force of Freedom". Or, was "Lord of the Rings" used because that book specifically chosen, like if he were to choose Return of the Jedi or Attack of the Clones as specific parts of the series to relate to the badge.
A question that historians will debate for years to come... WWED...
You guys will argue over anything won't you...lol.. Ok so to quell this argument.. I have added Both LEGO Hobbits to the series, but this means Eric will still need to go in and patch the badge requirements for them (activate it) apparently this has to be done by him for the badges to actually award if you play those games, So for now I apologize to anyone who has played any one of the two specified LEGO Hobbit games only and has not received a badge. I'll inform Eric and disperse the badge manual for now if needed.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account