Do you want to see a Genre Badge System on GTN

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 24 (58.54%) Yes, it would be incredibly fun to chase down badge and see where I stand in the community

× 6 (14.63%) Maybe, I don't care either way, but I find the idea interesting

× 11 (26.83%) No, I'm not interested in chasing down more badges

• Added 11-03-2015 03:11 PM
  • 41 votes
What's interesting is that the poll has 3x more the amount of people interested in genre badges then not. Yet the majority of the thread that is vocal are those opposed.

I can understand that all those that worked on the 360V Badges would be opposed to the idea because they couldn't make everyone happy, the complaining or the criticism from lurkers. I was fine with everything the team did, I lost badges and I gained badge with each update. Badges are not life and death, people shouldn't be getting bent out of shape because of it. If they are being asses about it then they should just be ignored. If they have a valid point then it should be presented in a constructive manner. It's just that simple to me.

Either Eric wants to work on some version of genre badges or nothing comes out of this thread. The final decision will as usual be Eric's.
Well Marv, the poll asked if we want genre badges. Doesn't say anything about how it's implemented.
I'd call that lesson learned. Let's not repeat the same mistakes.
  • The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
  • Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.
  • We learn from failure, not from success!

I must say, I forgive you guys, just don't do it again. After all, "To err is human, to forgive, divine.
Originally Posted by Kaens
This.... exactly, that's why I think there is room for improvement, I like parts of Marvs original idea and I hate parts of it too, Obsidian your on the same track as I but I think everyone here sees their own version of it and don't want to budge on it, this is why I think that I can see things a bit more objectively. The final product if there is one won't please everyone but I think it can be done where everyone will like the outcome enough to make it work.
Well Marv, the poll asked if we want genre badges. Doesn't say anything about how it's implemented.
Originally Posted by Kaens
True. The poll was to see if there was interest. The first post I made was also made to open a dialogue.
True. The poll was to see if there was interest. The first post I made was also made to open a dialogue.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
There is always overwhelming interest in more badges. Even I almost voted for it Wink
The problem from 360v is that badges were being handled based on what was good for the person and not what was good for the group.

I don't see that changing here either. Badges could have been so much better on 360v, but people couldn't see past their own e-peen to make it something great.
The problem from 360v is that badges were being handled based on what was good for the person and not what was good for the group.

I don't see that changing here either. Badges could have been so much better on 360v, but people couldn't see past their own e-peen to make it something great.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
I vaguely remember your ideas basically giving badges to anybody that played a game in a genre to completion. So that anybody that actually liked a genre and played every game, but not necessarily completed everything wouldn't get the genre badge where somebody that played one could have the 100% badge??

Of course calling people names and making up your own internal motivations about why people do stuff to suit your needs probably didn't help get your ideas acknowledged...
I vaguely remember your ideas basically giving badges to anybody that played a game in a genre to completion. So that anybody that actually liked a genre and played every game, but not necessarily completed everything wouldn't get the genre badge where somebody that played one could have the 100% badge??
Originally Posted by Fshguy
That seems closer (not exact) to my dynamic genres suggestion.
Of course calling people names and making up your own internal motivations about why people do stuff to suit your needs probably didn't help get your ideas acknowledged...
I know you aren't talking to me, but just in case there is some splash damage to those of us who think it wasn't done well I wanted to clarify that my statements and thoughts on it are not about me, but about what I believe is human motivation (of which I am one).

I'm just going to stop this now, because the amount of fucks I give about this topic is now -1. You can think what you want. But evidence is out there, albeit behind access walls, to support my statement about people in a position of power being in it for themselves and not what was best for the site.
That seems closer (not exact) to my dynamic genres suggestion.
Originally Posted by futiles
Ah, there have been several suggestions, so hard to remember them all in detail. If he has another suggestion, maybe we could get some consensus.

Frankly it's a lot of time and effort to code the background processes and pages needed to build a system like a genre system without some hope that a certain percentage of the population will enjoy.
Ah, there have been several suggestions, so hard to remember them all in detail. If he has another suggestion, maybe we could get some consensus.

Frankly it's a lot of time and effort to code the background processes and pages needed to build a system like a genre system without some hope that a certain percentage of the population will enjoy.
It's a lot easier to get a global consensus by telling everyone to get bent. And I do like global consensus...

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account