Limit the Number of Threads Started by a User per Day

Feature Requests

Found 28 posts - Go to Last Post

I think having a limit to how many threads a user can start in a day could be very helpful in reducing spam and/or people just trying to pad numbers for badges. Personally, I think 3 would be a good number, that way they can post a few relevant items a day.
I think that will only effect QuiCkz Ninja
Originally Posted by FAR QZ
So it would work exactly like pTart wants it to!
actually I dont mind his useless post because there are a few members who actually turn them into decent conversations, otherwise there would be no activity here just like over there where no one goes anymore! I do wish he would do more than copy and paste with one word comments but since no one else is starting any decent threads its better than nothing.
actually I dont mind his useless post because there are a few members who actually turn them into decent conversations, otherwise there would be no activity here just like over there where no one goes anymore! I do wish he would do more than copy and paste with one word comments but since no one else is starting any decent threads its better than nothing.
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
Unfortunately, that logic has failed, as the influx of people that started actually posting before QN began spamming had stopped. And now you have the same dozen people that you had last year, with one or two examples.

However, and artificial post limit is bad, and will basically just mean that you get EXACTLY the number of new threads per day by said user until X badge is unlocked.

Having a moderation team that actually tries to actively hinder spam, instead of deciding "all clicks are good clicks" for the sake of traffic numbers would be more beneficial. However, that rabbit has been out of the whole too long, and you aren't getting it back in without actually effort and enforcement.

And after a quickz check: (See what I did there)

Of his last 50 new threads, 27 of them have Zero Replies, or only him replying. Another 15 are less than 10 total posts. Leaving 8 with at least some level of dialog. (Or, 16%...)
Last edited 09-24-2014 at 10:09 PM by futiles.
I don't like the limit the number of started threads per day rule, but spamming should be HIGHLY discouraged
It would make more sense to tell a user to stop doing stuff or their account will be suspended, rather than the site having to constantly implement new measures of prevention, unless it's something that's widespread.
Unfortunately, that logic has failed, as the influx of people that started actually posting before QN began spamming had stopped. And now you have the same dozen people that you had last year, with one or two examples.

However, and artificial post limit is bad, and will basically just mean that you get EXACTLY the number of new threads per day by said user until X badge is unlocked.

Having a moderation team that actually tries to actively hinder spam, instead of deciding "all clicks are good clicks" for the sake of traffic numbers would be more beneficial. However, that rabbit has been out of the whole too long, and you aren't getting it back in without actually effort and enforcement.

Of his last 50 new threads, 27 of them have Zero Replies, or only him replying. Another 15 are less than 10 total posts. Leaving 8 with at least some level of dialog. (Or, 16%...)
Originally Posted by futiles
You made alot of good points, If a thread starter makes a thread with a lot of discussion then they should be able to post all they want to.

Your always doing the math sir! You should get a "I'm the Wiz" Badge.
I am not on board with this. Limiting the created threads option for any and all users is totalitarian and ultimately ineffective and discriminatory. So what if a user has a 16% thread success rate. At least he is trying to be active and trying to create dialogue, instead of passively waiting for threads to appear from other users. This is still a smaller community, and with that, less people engage on a regular basis. Limiting something that is relatively limited in attendance anyways, will cripple the community.

Instead of a witch-hunt, how about a friendly and appropriate reminder that quality is more important than quantity. Maybe suggest combining news posts into one, or maybe create a news center or thread that can be managed by a specific user that seems to want to head that up anyway.

Just my unfiltered thoughts.
appropriate moderation > forced limitation

Why punish all users for one bad apple.
I am not on board with this. Limiting the created threads option for any and all users is totalitarian and ultimately ineffective and discriminatory. So what if a user has a 16% thread success rate. At least he is trying to be active and trying to create dialogue, instead of passively waiting for threads to appear from other users. This is still a smaller community, and with that, less people engage on a regular basis. Limiting something that is relatively limited in attendance anyways, will cripple the community.

Instead of a witch-hunt, how about a friendly and appropriate reminder that quality is more important than quantity. Maybe suggest combining news posts into one, or maybe create a news center or thread that can be managed by a specific user that seems to want to head that up anyway.

Just my unfiltered thoughts.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
well said sir!
With that said, a new thread should include more than just a single sentence and a link (if any).
With that said, a new thread should include more than just a single sentence and a link (if any).
Originally Posted by HyruleBalverine
or at least a single original sentence, stop the copy/paste shit that just drives traffic away to other sites.
or at least a single original sentence, stop the copy/paste shit that just drives traffic away to other sites.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
nice to see constructive criticism instead of just insults, this I can support and get behind, good job!
nice to see constructive criticism instead of just insults, this I can support and get behind, good job!
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
It started as constructive criticism two months ago, with absolutely zero acceptance by staff.
It started as constructive criticism two months ago, with absolutely zero acceptance by staff.
so give up and be complete dicks is the answer?

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account