Game missing from "Lord of the Rings" series listing

Issues & Bug Reports

Found 29 posts - Go to Last Post

I was looking at random stuff on the site today and I happened to open the listing for the Lord of the Rings "game series". Lego The Hobbit and Lego The Hobbit (Xbox One) are not listed as Lord of the Rings games. True, these are Lego games, but so is Lego Lord of the Rings, which is listed. These do not state "Lord of the Rings" in their name, but neither does Guardians of Middle Earth nor the Guardians of Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor games. I just thought that I'd point this out, as I expect that its an oversight.
Well, technically the Hobbit isn't part of The Lord of the Rings... I really don't know anything about the MOBA games (but I thought I had read somewhere that they take place during the events of LotR, but I may be confusing them with another game), and I am sure that the idea behind the badge is more of a "Middle Earth Realm" badge than a true LotR badge, so, Eric will probably add them in.
I hear ya, futiles. While not technically part of the Lord of the Rings "trilogy", you're right about it being part of the Middle Earth universe. From a purely nerd standpoint, one could argue that it expands upon and explains events referenced in and related to the main story, it is part of the Lord of the Rings... but, then again, the rest of the story of The Hobbit could negate that argument.
Well, I read Hobbit first, and then LotR, so, much like the original publishing, LotR was always a sequel to me. It always felt weird that LotR was made into films by Peter Jackson first, but, hey, the Rankin Bass animated film was as best as most people expected to ever get ever.
Eric didn't put the Crystal Defenders in the Final Fantasy series when I complained using the same logic.
Eric didn't put the Crystal Defenders in the Final Fantasy series when I complained using the same logic.
Originally Posted by Kaens
AWESOME (not because he went against you, Kaens), because I honestly think Hobbit shouldn't be in it.

(I know nothing about Final Fantasy since the NES, is Crystal Defenders an actual FF game, or like some alt game using the same engine?)
From what I can tell by reading the "About the Game" section on the official site (http://www.crystaldefenders.jp/na/aboutthisgame.html) and Wikipedia (I know, not always the best source) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Defenders) Square Enix seemed to borrow ideas and content from the Final Fantasy series for this game. I don't know if this is enough to make it a Final Fantasy game or not. I certainly haven't played it myself. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Eric feels The Hobbit is in the same vein as Crystal Defenders or if it belongs with Lord of the Rings. I'll accept the decision either way.
Well, considering THE RING is in The Hobbit, not quite sure that should be excluded. And couldn't the Ring itself be Lord of the others? I guess most people would say is Sauron.
Well, considering THE RING is in The Hobbit, not quite sure that should be excluded. And couldn't the Ring itself be Lord of the others? I guess most people would say is Sauron.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I'm fine either way, I was just irritated at the time because I was putting a lot of time into Crystal before realizing it wasn't in the series. Let's see, it's the same world and exact same characters. If you can consider "red mage" or "black mage" characters. If Fsh is going to say that an inanimate object, the ring counts then I'm going to pull a futiles and be anal about CD as well. ALL of the items from CD are in the Final Fantasy series.
I'm fine either way, I was just irritated at the time because I was putting a lot of time into Crystal before realizing it wasn't in the series. Let's see, it's the same world and exact same characters. If you can consider "red mage" or "black mage" characters. If Fsh is going to say that an inanimate object, the ring counts then I'm going to pull a futiles and be anal about CD as well. ALL of the items from CD are in the Final Fantasy series.
Do any of the items in Final Fantasy control the will of practically of all of the races? I mean, I want some examples of singular items with such power? I'm just arguing that this item is in the name of the title. And it's Monday...
Do any of the items in Final Fantasy control the will of practically of all of the races? I mean, I want some examples of singular items with such power? I'm just arguing that this item is in the name of the title. And it's Monday...
At the writing and publishing of The Hobbit, there was no knowledge that the ring found was The Ring. The necromancer was not Sauron. And The Lord of the Rings was not planned out. However, if Eric changed the name of the badge from a LotR reference to a Middle Earth reference, then, all arguments are immediately invalidated against inclusion...
no one added 'Sonic the Fighters' to the Sonic series either...
At the writing and publishing of The Hobbit, there was no knowledge that the ring found was The Ring. The necromancer was not Sauron. And The Lord of the Rings was not planned out. However, if Eric changed the name of the badge from a LotR reference to a Middle Earth reference, then, all arguments are immediately invalidated against inclusion...
Originally Posted by futiles
So even if the book is about The Ring, that just happens to Lord over the others, because the author didn't know where he was going at the time? Next, you're going to tell me that all of the 6 Star War films weren't about Anakin Skywalker and that if there was a Anakin Skywalker badge that Episode IV shouldn't count cause he wasn't called Anakin then.
So even if the book is about The Ring, that just happens to Lord over the others, because the author didn't know where he was going at the time? Next, you're going to tell me that all of the 6 Star War films weren't about Anakin Skywalker and that if there was a Anakin Skywalker badge that Episode IV shouldn't count cause he wasn't called Anakin then.
No, because George Lucas, the writer/creator, has stated that the 6-movies, when taken together are the story of Anakin, and the creator's intention means a lot.

However, The Hobbit is not about The Ring, it is about a hobbit, his journey, both physical and internal. The Lord of the Rings is about The Ring, its power and desire to be wielded by one willing to use said power. So, two stories are related, but not exactly one continuous story (like the birth, rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin), and, both can EASILY stand on their own, without ever reading the other. If you take any of the six Star Wars films (except A New Hope, which is the only one that was not 100% positive there would be more), they are a broken story, and really need information from previous or successive films to form a true narrative.

Now, to your example, if there was an "Anakin" badge, instead of a "Star Wars" badge, and a game like "Star Wars: Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast" was being discussed, then I would voice the opinion that, no, it was inappropriate, because it is not about Anakin. It is related, but outside the scope. So, while a semantic difference, you cannot necessarily say it was or was not intentional.

So, change the badge name to "Middle Earth" and throw it in.

Leave it as "Lord of the Rings" and exclude The Hobbit.

Or, leave it as "Lord of the Rings" and include The Hobbit, because honestly, most people don't care.
I'm going to go with the "it's Monday" and we're just having fun arguing. But it is Lord of the RingS, not the ONE ring. Only one ring was in the Hobbit and as futiles point out, it's not the focus of the movie.

As far as Crystal Defenders goes, "sword" "bow" and "mana" were all crucial in all of the games. :hugegrin:
I'm going to go with the "it's Monday" and we're just having fun arguing. But it is Lord of the RingS, not the ONE ring. Only one ring was in the Hobbit and as futiles point out, it's not the focus of the movie.

As far as Crystal Defenders goes, "sword" "bow" and "mana" were all crucial in all of the games. :hugegrin:
One ring to rule them all, The Ring is the "Lord" of the other rings... See, this is what happens when I don't have a contest to focus on...
One ring to rule them all, The Ring is the "Lord" of the other rings... See, this is what happens when I don't have a contest to focus on...
Exactly! That's the point of the Lord of the Rings! Hobbit has nothing to do with any of that. Small side story of what the ring was doing for 60 years in someone's pocket. I think you are proving OUR point Fsh!

Edit: Otherwise the book would be in the series, which it is NOT. You have The Hobbit, and you have The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not the same thing, same universe, not same thing. That's like saying X-Men is an Avengers story (Beast & Ice-Man both had very long run with the Avengers). Same universe, different stories, tons of crossovers.

Edit2: And yes, I'm only arguing because I'm off work today and don't feel like turning my console on yet. Filling time.
I'm going to go with the "it's Monday" and we're just having fun arguing.
Mostly.

:BIG SMILIE:
Exactly! That's the point of the Lord of the Rings! Hobbit has nothing to do with any of that. Small side story of what the ring was doing for 60 years in someone's pocket. I think you are proving OUR point Fsh!

Edit: Otherwise the book would be in the series, which it is NOT. You have The Hobbit, and you have The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not the same thing, same universe, not same thing. That's like saying X-Men is an Avengers story (Beast & Ice-Man both had very long run with the Avengers). Same universe, different stories, tons of crossovers.

Edit2: And yes, I'm only arguing because I'm off work today and don't feel like turning my console on yet. Filling time.
Lord of the Rings wouldn't be much of a story if Bilbo hadn't went on his quest to pick up The Ring, it was all a setup by Gandalf. But, really deeper down, it's all a story about Gollum and his precious ring. So the bottom line is if you like round shiny gold objects, you'll tragically end up jumping into a volcano after it.
I got the Lord of the Rings box set of books. It came with The Hobbit included. It's part of the same storyline. I would have thought it would be included in the game set. I always thought of them as one big story.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account