Question regarding multiple XB1s in one home...

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 16 posts - Go to Last Post

A friend of mine posted this question on SG but nobody there has more than one, so I'm asking around for him. Actually, I'm curious about it myself too...

So does anyone have 2 (or more) Xbox Ones in the same house that they use at different times? I'm thinking about buying another one to put in my living room (and keeping one in the Man Cave), but I'm wondering if I will have to put my Gamertag on a USB stick like I did with the 360 or how it will work? I'd like to be able to play the same games on both consoles and have the progress picked up on the other console when I log in there.

Is this possible? How does it work in practice?
You know, I'd like just one One in my house. This guy's worried about 2?!

But, no, I have no idea the answer to this question. Sorry. Just jealous.
Futiles can answer better, but I'm pretty sure it will not be necessary to put his profile on a USB.

The key thing would be to make his secondary console the "home" console, such as many of us do with our kids' 360s or secondary consoles. Just like the 360, digital games are licensed to the tag AND console they are purchased on. Anyone can play the games on the console they are bought on, and his tag can play his games on any other console if he's signed in to live.

Most all games save locally and to the cloud, so he should be able to play in the living room, then pick up his saved game later in the man cave. The game should sync when he start it up. He probably wants to make sure to completely quit a game when he's done (guide button, quit).
Steelhead, we have 3 Xbox Ones.

We have our profiles (mine, LibrarianBeth's and Sir Wolf Tamer) on each of them, with full facial recognition and auto sign-on on each of them. Since EVERYTHING is hybrid cloud and local, the X1 signs me in, and then checks the cloud to ensure that it is using the latest version of whatever, and syncs the two to match.

Game DRM works almost exactly like it did on the 360. Game is tied to the profile which purchased it, as well as the console that gamertag has marked as "Home Console." What this means is: The Den X1 is futiles's "Home Console" while the bedroom X1 is LibrarianBeth's "Home Console" and the basement X1 is Sir Wolf Tamer's "Home Console." Each gamertag grabs their free GwG each month, and each console has a license for said GwG - anyone on any gamertag can play that title on that console. Also, each of those gamertags can play each of those titles on ANY console they sign in on. Meanwhile, futiles buys most of the games, so, the den X1 has the license for all of the games that futiles buys, meaning that anyone on Den X1 can play any of those games. Also, futiles can play those games on any console while signed in.

An example:

futiles purchased Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. Sir Wolf Tamer logs in on Den X1 and starts playing PvZ:GW. futiles goes to basement, logs in to XBL on basement X1. futiles begins playing PvZ:GW, and plays online with Sir Wolf Tamer in PvZ:GW. LibrarianBeth would like to play, too, but, she does not have a license for PvZ:GW. She may not play it on the Bedroom X1, because neither her tag, nor that console has a license, however, she may join Sir Wolf Tamer or futiles, split screen, on the console they are using.

Another example:

futiles is in the den playing Assassin's Creed: Unity. LibrarianBeth comes home with Sir Wolf Tamer, and AC:U is not appropriate viewing for Sir Wolf Tamer. futiles saves and stops his game, and turns the Den X1 to TV and lets his family play/watch. futiles goes to the basement, logs in on Basement X1, loads the digital version of AC:U. XBL sees that the cloud save is more recent than the version on Basement X1 HDD, syncs the save locally from the cloud, futiles launches AC:U exactly where he left off not 5 minutes earlier.

I think I answered both questions.

(Also, you KNOW I have multiple X1s, you saw all 3 at AF2014)
We have our profiles (mine, LibrarianBeth's and Sir Wolf Tamer) on each of them, with full facial recognition and auto sign-on on each of them.
Originally Posted by futiles
Don't do this! Because you'll be in a multiplayer match, then go get a sandwich and get logged off because you passed the one in the living room on your way and the facial recognition signed you in on that console.

Right Fsh? :hugegrin:
Don't do this! Because you'll be in a multiplayer match, then go get a sandwich and get logged off because you passed the one in the living room on your way and the facial recognition signed you in on that console.

Originally Posted by Kaens
Yes, if they were in path of each other. I actually have them placed in such a way that you would have to take an extreme detour to cause it to happen. (Since I played around with it...)

It's been known to happen.

Having two consoles works pretty well migrating saves between machines.

But to be fair, this happening after your boosting partner wins 2 or 3 times at Monopoly Deal when he's supposed to take the dive and we have to restart only adds to the tragedy of the aforementioned facial recognition issue.
But to be fair, this happening after your boosting partner wins 2 or 3 times at Monopoly Deal when he's supposed to take the dive and we have to restart only adds to the tragedy of the aforementioned facial recognition issue.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Touche! (I dunno how to easily put the tic over the e)

Actually, because futiles is a sore loser, he just hollers out "xbox bing" anytime he starts falling behind, and has voice commands disabled on his own console.
Cub Scouts. Had a scout with é in the name, and since I am particular about names and their proper spelling, I learned the shortcut.
Actually, because futiles is a sore loser, he just hollers out "xbox bing" anytime he starts falling behind, and has voice commands disabled on his own console.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
Best AF-trolling not involving Tandar's chair.
Steelhead, we have 3 Xbox Ones.

We have our profiles (mine, LibrarianBeth's and Sir Wolf Tamer) on each of them, with full facial recognition and auto sign-on on each of them. Since EVERYTHING is hybrid cloud and local, the X1 signs me in, and then checks the cloud to ensure that it is using the latest version of whatever, and syncs the two to match.

Game DRM works almost exactly like it did on the 360. Game is tied to the profile which purchased it, as well as the console that gamertag has marked as "Home Console." What this means is: The Den X1 is futiles's "Home Console" while the bedroom X1 is LibrarianBeth's "Home Console" and the basement X1 is Sir Wolf Tamer's "Home Console." Each gamertag grabs their free GwG each month, and each console has a license for said GwG - anyone on any gamertag can play that title on that console. Also, each of those gamertags can play each of those titles on ANY console they sign in on. Meanwhile, futiles buys most of the games, so, the den X1 has the license for all of the games that futiles buys, meaning that anyone on Den X1 can play any of those games. Also, futiles can play those games on any console while signed in.

An example:

futiles purchased Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. Sir Wolf Tamer logs in on Den X1 and starts playing PvZ:GW. futiles goes to basement, logs in to XBL on basement X1. futiles begins playing PvZ:GW, and plays online with Sir Wolf Tamer in PvZ:GW. LibrarianBeth would like to play, too, but, she does not have a license for PvZ:GW. She may not play it on the Bedroom X1, because neither her tag, nor that console has a license, however, she may join Sir Wolf Tamer or futiles, split screen, on the console they are using.

Another example:

futiles is in the den playing Assassin's Creed: Unity. LibrarianBeth comes home with Sir Wolf Tamer, and AC:U is not appropriate viewing for Sir Wolf Tamer. futiles saves and stops his game, and turns the Den X1 to TV and lets his family play/watch. futiles goes to the basement, logs in on Basement X1, loads the digital version of AC:U. XBL sees that the cloud save is more recent than the version on Basement X1 HDD, syncs the save locally from the cloud, futiles launches AC:U exactly where he left off not 5 minutes earlier.

I think I answered both questions.

(Also, you KNOW I have multiple X1s, you saw all 3 at AF2014)
Originally Posted by futiles
Awesome examples, i still have that extra unopened X1 Microsoft gave me, auto-migration sounds great especially cause i thought i would have had to swap external hard drives to resume a saved game when i switch rooms.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account