Can you name this artist without looking?

General Chat

Found 35 posts - Go to Last Post

Who is this artist

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 5 (8.06%) Picasso

× 20 (32.26%) Claude Monet

× 11 (17.74%) Vincent van Gogh

× 6 (9.68%) Leonardo da Vinci

× 17 (27.42%) Georges Seurat

× 3 (4.84%) Andy Warhol

• Added 01-06-2016 05:25 PM
  • 62 votes
Just curious... my artist knowledge is minimal, so without looking do you know who this is?

Just to clarify, you do mean without looking on Google, correct?
Just to clarify, you do mean without looking on Google, correct?
Originally Posted by Dvader83
Well, yeah, if you don't look at the image, that might decrease your odds...
Ironically this image is one of the rotating stock background images on my Mac.
The way the thread title is written seems to say otherwise.

P.S. Never tell me the odds.
Ironically this image is one of the rotating stock background images on my Mac.
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
And you still can't name it!
There are only two obvious answers there, so at 50% rate.. looks like everyone else thinks that's the artist too.
There are only two obvious answers there, so at 50% rate.. looks like everyone else thinks that's the artist too.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Two obvious answers? Based on artistic period?
I was told by a friend that they were surprised that a couple of these artists could be confused... Based on current results, it looks like at least three...
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!?!?!?!

Claude Monet and Georges Seurat are confused by people?

Monet was a Impressionist best known for his series of 250 paintings of Water Lilies (Example below)

Seurat was a post-impressionist who created pointillism and is best know for Sunday Afternoon of the Island of Le Grande Jatte
(See above)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but, now I am sad...
(And honestly, I don't necessarily expect people to know Seurat, but, I do actually expect people to know Monet, and know that the two styles are not similar.)
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
There is ONE OBVIOUS answer, and a bunch of wrong answers.
Maybe I am too close, my favorite paintings, by my favorite artists are:

Sunday Afternoon on the Island of Le Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat, a post impressionist developer of Pointillism

Bedroom in Arles by Vincent Van Gogh, another post impressionist and divisionist:

Lady in Blue by Henri Matisse, a neo impressionist who delved into many styles:

Sunday Afternoon and Bedroom in Arles are both in Chicago at the Art Institute, and I have been numerous times and enjoyed my time in front of each. Lady in Blue is in a private collection, and I have never been able to see it in person.

(We do have two prints of Sunday Afternoon in our house, one is a 1/8 scale print and the other is a 1/16 scale, the original is HUGE and I try to talk the wife into a full scale print...)
And you still can't name it!
Originally Posted by Kaens
My art history is a little rusty, but still I voted correctly.
I was horribly wrong, I suck at art. Good thing I can count beans...
I obviously spend too much time playing games and not enough time studying art. For some reason, I seem to be okay with that. Smile
I obviously spend too much time playing games and not enough time studying art. For some reason, I seem to be okay with that. Smile
Originally Posted by Arcstar09
My gamerscore, achievements earned, games played, consoles owned, tabletop collection, and convention attendance seem to imply you can do both, easily...
My gamerscore, achievements earned, games played, consoles owned, tabletop collection, and convention attendance seem to imply you can do both, easily...
Originally Posted by futiles
I could do it or care, but I hate all of those examples. ALL of that shit looks like children drew it and I'm not even remotely impressed by anything but Seurat's stippling and that's only because of the time needed. I hate Monet's muddy water colors and Van Gogh needs to learn to draw straight. Any Impressionist styles are all crap and if you have to explain to me why it's so great or what something is "supposed to represent" then you are a talentless hack. If those people were here today I would call them little emo bitches and they need to get a real job.

Italian Renaissance is where real talents artists are, not depressed losers who cut off their own ears. To me, that's the best, but I like various Realism or Rococo stuff. You know, something that looks like a talented person did it, not my 10 year old. I guess I have to say I like Baroque as well but I couldn't tell you looking at painting if it was Baroque or Renaissance. So here's my counter examples..

Rococo
Venus and Nymphs Bathing by French artist Louis Jean-Francois Lagrenee, 1776

Italian Renaissance
Michelangelo, The Creation of Adam, Ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, fresco, 1508-1512

Realism
Gustave Courbet, Fox In the Snow, 1860

Baroque
Peter Paul Rubens, The Union of Earth and Water, c. 1618

Maybe if I took more Art electives instead of Computer Science I'd be more educated. Or maybe I just love looking at pictures of thick naked women. I did marry me a gorgeous thick Italian so that was probably what it is.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account