Surface Pro 3, worth it?

General Chat

Found 8 posts - Go to Last Post

This is to everyone that has a Surface Pro 3. I need to know if the bang is worth the buck. I am an Apple guy, I have iPads, iMac, Apple TV, and several iPhones etc

So, I want something I can put right next to me while playing a game and use to look at walkthroughs, clips, and several other items. Does this do it, and does it do it well? How do MS games look and play on it? I would like to start using one (if it is worth it) to play MS store games while I play X1 or 360. I love to multitask.

Thank you for your opinions and advice.
With the amount of options on a Surface Pro 3, it would be hard to say it wasn't worth it.

You can buy an i3, or an i5 with a couple of SSD options, or even a full i7 with a rather large SSD. The Pro series is a full laptop, in a tablet body, with some of the models being almost as thin as an iPad. (The i7 model is going to be thicker, but still very thin.)

I bought a Surface Pro (1) when they came out, and I love it. I only have a laptop because of coding and a few other tasks where the smaller form factor were not the best. But, with the Pro 3 having a larger display, better keyboard, i7 processor, and large SSD, ol' futiles sure is tempted to realize his original model is broken...
If you're looking for a laptop (or laptop replacement), it's awesome. Otherwise, I would suggest getting a Surface Pro 2 instead. strictly from a price point. I've got a first gen Surface Pro, 128GB i5, and it's more powerful/faster/better looking than my Samsung laptop. and my only complaint is the battery life (which is about double in a Surface 2). Great tablet, and doubles as a mini laptop with the add-on keyboard/cover. If money is no option, then get the Surface 3.
With the amount of options on a Surface Pro 3, it would be hard to say it wasn't worth it.

You can buy an i3, or an i5 with a couple of SSD options, or even a full i7 with a rather large SSD. The Pro series is a full laptop, in a tablet body, with some of the models being almost as thin as an iPad. (The i7 model is going to be thicker, but still very thin.)

I bought a Surface Pro (1) when they came out, and I love it. I only have a laptop because of coding and a few other tasks where the smaller form factor were not the best. But, with the Pro 3 having a larger display, better keyboard, i7 processor, and large SSD, ol' futiles sure is tempted to realize his original model is broken...
Originally Posted by futiles
Yeah I don't know if any of us have the 3 yet, but I agree with what futiles said. I have the Surface 1 and it's been okay. Not good enough to replace the iPad 3 I have. The wife, who doesn't have an iPad, used her Surface 1 occasionally, but i bought her the Pro 2 and she's already replaced her laptop with it and uses it for work. She has some frustrations with it, mostly because of IE, not the device.

I really want the Pro 3, but you know, I can't buy everything and I gotta not buy every gadget the moment it comes out so my wife has something to buy me on Xmas and my birthday.

Oh the one thing I will say about the Pro3, it's got a different aspect ratio for the screen. I thought I would love the wide screen on the pro but I actually don't so I think this is an improvement. I still use my iPad for browsing the web in bed because when I turn my Surface 1 portrait style (so I get more page) it becomes awkward to hold easily and blocked my view of the tv because I can't see over the damn thing. It's the little things.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will continue to "window shop" on amazon. They don't carry them over here on my installation, so amazon it is. I have all apple devices and don't want to use bootcamp. I do have a sony vaio Fit14, it runs windows 8.1, but my wife uses it in the kitchen.

Anyway, like Kaens said, I need to have something for my friends and family to get me for Christmas =)
I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Surface Pro 3 i7, but decided against it. The price is WAAAAAAAY too much and for the same money you can get a monster laptop. I would not use it for anything else than email, browsing the web and playing Win 8 games and would like to have a portable BD drive like in my current laptop so it was a no go. Sure it is not as nice but $2k for a 512 GB SSD, i7 with no optical drive, laptop is not a good deal. My wife has the Surface Pro 2 and I absolutely love it, but she hates it for the 64 GB hard drive. I might consider a Pro 2 when they stop producing them and clearing them out.
Last edited 08-18-2014 at 02:45 PM by LordChabelo13.
I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Surface Pro 3 i7, but decided against it. The price is WAAAAAAAY too much and for the same money you can get a monster laptop. I would not use it for anything else than email, browsing the web and playing Win 8 games and would like to have a portable BD drive like in my current laptop so it was a no go. Sure it is not as nice but $2k for a 128 GB SSD, i7 with no optical drive, laptop is not a good deal. My wife has the Surface Pro 2 and I absolutely love it, but she hates it for the 64 GB hard drive. I might consider a Pro 2 when they stop producing them and clearing them out.
Originally Posted by LordChabelo13
$2K is a 512GB SSD, not 128GB, and the difference between those drives plays a big factor in that price tag. Just the raw drive, a 128GB SSD can be purchased for about $100, while a 512GB is still in the $350-$500 (depending on drive).

There isn't a 128GB option on the i7 Pro 3, just 256GB for $1.5K and 512GB for $2K.

For the optical drive, my last laptop had it, my Surface doesn't, my current laptop I thought I ordered without one, but accidentally hit a button and one opened. Imagine my surprise.
$2K is a 512GB SSD, not 128GB, and the difference between those drives plays a big factor in that price tag. Just the raw drive, a 128GB SSD can be purchased for about $100, while a 512GB is still in the $350-$500 (depending on drive).

There isn't a 128GB option on the i7 Pro 3, just 256GB for $1.5K and 512GB for $2K.

For the optical drive, my last laptop had it, my Surface doesn't, my current laptop I thought I ordered without one, but accidentally hit a button and one opened. Imagine my surprise.
Originally Posted by futiles
You are right on the hard drive size, my conclusion on why I did not buy the Pro 3 is still the same. I can get a monster gaming laptop for half that. And yes, since I cannot get an i7 for under $1.25 K Pro 3 was still out.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account