Night Shift Movie Watching 2016

Entertainment

Found 5 posts - Go to Last Post

Well, I am back on the night shift this year, so, I end up watching a lot more movies, especially on VOD.

Last week I watched the most recent Fantastic Four movie.

This thing was just absolutely trashed across the board, absolutely nothing about it was given a positive remark. People bashed the writing, the acting, the direction, the costumes, the casting...

I actually expected this to be the worst movie I have ever seen. It is not. It isn't even bad, really. It's just boring. Imagine that for a few seconds. A movie, about inter-dimensional travel, human cellular transmutation, super power development, and more explosions than Michael Bay gets off on, was boring. It just kind of happened, and then it ended...

As far as casting choices, I will go ahead and discuss the sore spot most fanboys have. The Human Torch played by Michael B. Jordan. Yes, a black man playing the Human Torch. Let me say this (and this is the best thing I ever heard about casting choices before): if the color of the skin of a guy who can consciously burst his flesh into flames, and use those flames to fly, and throw fireballs, as a direct result of a radiation incident, is going to be the hard part for you to accept, then maybe this just isn't the genre for you...

My problem was never the cast, on their own, each one is usually a great actor/actress.

Do I recommend this movie? No. But, I don't recommend any boring movie.
Today, I watched Straight Outta Compton. Now, I love biopics, especially ones based around music. Ray, Walk The Line, La Bamba, Great Balls of Fire, Selena, Almost Famous, 8 Mile, The Doors, Sid & Nancy, Amadeus... Man, I enjoy them all. Even if I don't particularly like the music, the movie genre is great.

I do like the music and the story involved here. Casting was fantastic. Of course, the movie is told from the perspective of the main three of NWA, Easy-E, Ice Cube, and Dr. Dre. MC Ren and DJ Yella are prominently displayed, but as secondary characters (but much more prominent than the trailers appeared). Jerry Heller is presented as well, but, since the group had a gradual, but very emotionally charged, falling out with him, and it is from their perspective, he is presented fairly negatively. Well, very negatively. This film braids enough fact with fiction to keep an interesting story entertaining, while mixing in the right amount of music from the characters themselves with the music that influenced them. (Flashlight is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, so, even hearing just the opening bars of it in a movie is enjoyable.)

It's a biopic, so, you know there really aren't many spoilers, really. The group is formed, explodes, implodes, considers reforming, Easy-E dies...

This one I would HIGHLY recommend.
Today, I watched Straight Outta Compton. Now, I love biopics, especially ones based around music. Ray, Walk The Line, La Bamba, Great Balls of Fire, Selena, Almost Famous, 8 Mile, The Doors, Sid & Nancy, Amadeus... Man, I enjoy them all. Even if I don't particularly like the music, the movie genre is great.

I do like the music and the story involved here. Casting was fantastic. Of course, the movie is told from the perspective of the main three of NWA, Easy-E, Ice Cube, and Dr. Dre. MC Ren and DJ Yella are prominently displayed, but as secondary characters (but much more prominent than the trailers appeared). Jerry Heller is presented as well, but, since the group had a gradual, but very emotionally charged, falling out with him, and it is from their perspective, he is presented fairly negatively. Well, very negatively. This film braids enough fact with fiction to keep an interesting story entertaining, while mixing in the right amount of music from the characters themselves with the music that influenced them. (Flashlight is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, so, even hearing just the opening bars of it in a movie is enjoyable.)

It's a biopic, so, you know there really aren't many spoilers, really. The group is formed, explodes, implodes, considers reforming, Easy-E dies...

This one I would HIGHLY recommend.
Originally Posted by futiles
Been wanting to watch this, though I'm not a big fan of the NWA type. I'm sure this isn't a case of one long music video or advertisement for NWA's music but rather what you have said a biopic of the group with a healthy dose of there music. Do they play the songs in there entirety or do some of them get cut for pacing? Meaning Switch to another scene in the middle of a song as it fades out? not actually editing the song to make it shorter. What I thought looked really amazing is the casting.. Ice Cubes real son to play Ice Cube was brilliant and he looks like he can sing and act? Do you know if he/any of this was lip synched or was all the songs actually performed by the cast?

Hopefully I'll be watching this within the week.
Been wanting to watch this, though I'm not a big fan of the NWA type. I'm sure this isn't a case of one long music video or advertisement for NWA's music but rather what you have said a biopic of the group with a healthy dose of there music. Do they play the songs in there entirety or do some of them get cut for pacing? Meaning Switch to another scene in the middle of a song as it fades out? not actually editing the song to make it shorter. What I thought looked really amazing is the casting.. Ice Cubes real son to play Ice Cube was brilliant and he looks like he can sing and act? Do you know if he/any of this was lip synched or was all the songs actually performed by the cast?

Hopefully I'll be watching this within the week.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Have you seen any of the movies I compared it to? Think similar. La Bamba, Walk the Line, Ray... Same type of thing. Mostly it is just a portion of their songs or other songs, much like any other movie, the music sets the tone.
Have you seen any of the movies I compared it to? Think similar. La Bamba, Walk the Line, Ray... Same type of thing. Mostly it is just a portion of their songs or other songs, much like any other movie, the music sets the tone.
Originally Posted by futiles
Ok, I was hoping/thinking it would probably be that way. Thanks!

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account