Extra Life 2016

General Chat

Hello everyone, once again it is almost time for Extra Life 2016, and I find myself without a plan for game day.

For those of you that don't know, Extra Life is a charity marathon for the Children's Miracle Network hospitals. And like any charity marathon, people work to get sponsors (that is where you come in, *hint*) to make a donation to their profile page Like this one and 100% of all donations go to the specific hospital each participant is supporting. I have been supporting KU Med Pediatrics in Kansas City for the last four year. For two of those years, I even supported the hospital as President of the Extra Life Guild in the area. I took part in outreach and awareness opportunities around the metro, and even traveled to Orlando to take part in a charity tournament as part of the End of the Year CMN celebration Momentum.

It has been very rewarding to me, and I plan to continue participating. This year, I am about halfway to my goal ($250/$500), and I would like your help getting there. I also find myself without a gameday plan. Usually, I have already decided what I am going to play, how I am going to stream, who I am going to interact with, but, not this year. So, everyone who donates, please make a gameday suggestion, and if any suggestion takes a lead over all others, I will make every effort to make that suggestion happen. (I have access to all current console generations, and many previous generations, and I should be able to lay hands on any of my streaming tools, so, make a suggestion, and let's see what happens.)

Either way, if you feel charitable please help me out at the link below, or, just drop a message in this thread. Thanks!

My Extra Life Page:
http://el.futiles.net (Made a shorter link for people.)

My Twitch Channel, where you can watch all the gaming action from Noon CDT Saturday - Noon CST Sunday, 25-hours:
www.twitch.tv/futiles

10-14-2016 - $250/$500

10-15-2016 - $300/$500 (+$50)

10-18-2016 - $325/$500 (+$25)

10-20-2016 - $425/$500 (+$100)

10-20-2016 - $525/$500 (+$100) AWESOME!!!

10-21-2016 - $557/$500 (+$32) (I am $8 away from matching my highest year total, ever!)

10-22-2016 - $607/$500 (+$50) New high fundraising level!

10-22-2016 - $707/$500 (+$100) woke up this afternoon to a $100 anonymous donation!

10-23-2016 - $732/$500 (+$25) approaching the $1000 mark!

10-24-2016 - $800/$500 (+$68) made a $68 donation to myself after making a few donations to friends

10-24-2016 - $815/$500 (+$15)

10-31-2016 - $915/$1000 (+$100) Raised my goal to $1000, since I am almost there, anyway.

11-01-2016 - $965/$1000 (+$50) Oh man, so close to $1000!

11-01-2016 - $1015/$1000 (+$50) WOW! A repeat donor!

11-02-2016 - $1040/$1000 (+$25) A little support from a real world only friend.

11-04-2016 - $1050/$1000 (+$10)

11-04-2016 - $1065/$1000 (+$15)

11-06-2016 - $1300/$1000 (+$235) - WOW! 4 hours left on the stream and what a great day so far!

11-07-2016 - $1350/$1500 (+$50)

11-11-2016 - $1425/$1500 (+$75)

11-12-2016 - $1525/$1500 (+$100) MORE THAN THREE TIMES INITIAL GOAL!!!

11-12-2016 - $1550/$1500 (+$25)

12-07-2016 - $1565/$1500 (+$15)
Last edited 12-08-2016 at 01:53 AM by futiles.
All JP visual novels, 24 hours straight.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
I would be willing to do that, but, let's see if any donations make that suggestion. (hint... hint...)
How does one get involved in the Extra Life campaign? I already work with a group of people who work in pediatrics/with Children's, and we have the 10th busiest pediatric medical center with Children's Hospital in Bham. I feel like taking part of this charity drive would be a great way to supplement the work that my group does and support them in other facets.
How does one get involved in the Extra Life campaign? I already work with a group of people who work in pediatrics/with Children's, and we have the 10th busiest pediatric medical center with Children's Hospital in Bham. I feel like taking part of this charity drive would be a great way to supplement the work that my group does and support them in other facets.
Originally Posted by Dacoto
In the car right now, but, when I get to Baton Rouge, I will do a write up. For you, though, I will go into details tomorrow in person, too.
I would be willing to do that, but, let's see if any donations make that suggestion. (hint... hint...)
Originally Posted by futiles
Done. Now you're obligated! Nah, just kidding. Wish i could give more. Ive had 2 of my kids require NICU time, so this is a tender thing for me. Thanks Michael for your continued efforts! Here's to your goal!
Done. Now you're obligated! Nah, just kidding. Wish i could give more. Ive had 2 of my kids require NICU time, so this is a tender thing for me. Thanks Michael for your continued efforts! Here's to your goal!
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
Thanks Porche. Every bit helps!
Detailed information:

There are many ways to get involved, and many levels at which to get involved. Each one is super important, and we need people at every level.

1. Donate to a friend or group that is participating. Every dollar counts, and goes a long way. Without donations, nothing happens. Since Extra Life's inception in 2008, it has raised $22 Million for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.

2. Become an Extra Lifer. Anyone, anywhere can go to www.extra-life.org, click on the "Join" button, and a few quick answer laters, have a donation page up and running, and ready to go. From there, you can link you Extra Life Profile/Page to existing Social Media for automated/integrated Facebook and Twitter integration, at any level you choose. This is important, because, for 8 years now, Extra Life has routinely averaged $200 raised per 2 Extra Lifers. No matter how many sign up, that average stays the same. So, the more that sign up, the better the charity does each year.

3. Become involved. Not just a participant, not just an Extra Lifer, but something more. The Extra Life community forums are great for this, and are accessible from the www.extra-life.org, and particularly, the Official Extra Life Guilds are a great way to get involved, if your area/city has on yet. The global guild forum is located here: http://community.extra-life.org/foru...a-life-guilds/ These groups work directly with the local area CMN Hosiptal, the Hospital's fundraising/outreach coordinator, the local community, and events with the number one goal of raising awareness and participation in Extra Life. This is where I have been at the last few years, as a guild president (for Kansas City), attending conventions working as an Extra Life volunteer registering and signing up new Extra Lifers, running tournaments and competitions for Extra Lifers, competing in tournaments as an Extra Lifer, and, where it really gets special, interacting with the actual kids. Sitting down with a child who is currently in a CMNH, receiving treatment, and spending time with them.

Every level is important, and, none of it works without all of them. So, again, to everyone, thanks for supporting at any level you can.

If someone has a specific question, feel free to ask, and I will answer what I can. If I don't have the answer, I have made relationships with a lot of the people involved at the national level, and I will gladly get an answer for you.
Thank you for posting a write-up. I know I could have just spoken to you in person, but maybe someone else on this site might feel shy about asking how to help. Especially if they have financial constraints. So now this is out there for everyone who wishes to help in any manner they can.
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
I'm sorry for your experience. My son had to spend a week in Children's just south of his first birthday. It's a terrible thing to have to go through. I will always hold a special regard for the Children's Hospital Network.
I'm sorry for your experience. My son had to spend a week in Children's just south of his first birthday. It's a terrible thing to have to go through. I will always hold a special regard for the Children's Hospital Network.
Honestly, the reason why I support Extra Life, and put the level of effort and energy into it is because I have never had to use it. My son is 13 now, and other than just normal kid things, where he needed child sized instruments, scanners, imaging, etc, he has never had to use one of the Children's Hospital systems for anything serious. So, I do what I can in hopes that it will help someone else who hasn't been as lucky as we have.
Thanks Porche. Every bit helps!
Afterthought: the year isnt up yet... I'll talk with the wife.
With two more donations, so far, I am up to $325 of my $500 goal. Thanks to porche and mondo! Just $175 left to go!
I'm getting around to this... I'll probably need a reminder.
I'm getting around to this... I'll probably need a reminder.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I am disappointmented in you, Fshguy....
I am disappointmented in you, Fshguy....
I am too. I got you closer to goal, Fsh should cross the finish line.
I am too. I got you closer to goal, Fsh should cross the finish line.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Thank you sir! And yes, Fshguy should push me past my goal...
Why a $500 goal? Well, the last two years, I have raised $500 or more, so, I want to continue on that path. Also, people can choose to do Extra Life or people can choose to do Extra Life as a platinum Extra Lifer. I do platinum. Basically, I pay $15, and that takes care of all of the administrative work. Platinum members allow for all donations received by Extra Life to be used for the kids.

As a thank you, multiple companies have donated prizes to platinum members reach certain fundraising goals. $200 raised and you get the 2016 Extra Life T-Shirt. $500 Raised and you get a silver medal. $1000 Raised you get a gold medal. Then companies donate thing like coupon codes, phone cases, etc.

I have earned the 2014 and 2015 silver medals. I wore my 2015 silver medal to Extra Life United in February 2016. While at ELU, I met the champions from each of the 50 states, Canadian provinces, and US protectorates. As a Louisianian, I sought out the Louisiana Champion, Dayton. He was hit by a truck, severely injured, and has done a fantastic job recovering, but, will have a long journey in front of him. Dayton was talking to me about Extra Life, because he also did Extra Life that year. He was excited to get involved, but, was a little bummed, because he had raised $450, and had wanted to get to $500 and get a silver medal himself.

So, I gave him mine, and I think his face shows how much it meant to him.

That smile is why $500...

*EDIT* Resized the image, and the site no longer rotates it.
You have my support just donated what I could, I would like to give more but I did St. Judes last month. Good luck in raising all you can for the kids.
You have my support just donated what I could, I would like to give more but I did St. Judes last month. Good luck in raising all you can for the kids.
Originally Posted by Homeless Messia
Thank you very much!

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account