Unclear (if not false) error messaging

Issues & Bug Reports

Found 3 posts - Go to Last Post

I had a filter set up looking at an achievement list then mistakenly navigated several pages away from it. When I attempted to go back, I got the usual error saying I needed to resubmit the page in order for it to be displayed (this is browser message, not GTN). So I hit my trusty F5 (windows, using chrome) and I get this message...

"Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired. Please push the back button and reload the previous window."

On that page I appear to be logged out, so I hit the login button, which immediately logged me in and did not prompt my for my credentials. This indicates my token has not actually expired as I was still logged in. So I hit back two more times and I got the same message, mere seconds after having renewed my token.

Not a big deal, I'll go back to where I was, but the message on that error appears to be misleading.
Security tokens are required when sending a HTTP post request. I could give you the technical mumbo-jumbo but basically it's there to help prevent cross-site forgery attacks.

When you're filtering something on a page, it usually sends a POST request to the server based on the fields you have selected, so using the back button sends you back to the page and resubmits those filters using the security token that was provided at the time of your original request.

These tokens expire per user over time so you're given an error message indicating that the token is no longer valid. It does not mean that you have been logged out. It simply means that you need to go back to that page and resubmit those filters again to pull the latest data.
Security tokens are required when sending a HTTP post request. I could give you the technical mumbo-jumbo but basically it's there to help prevent cross-site forgery attacks.

When you're filtering something on a page, it usually sends a POST request to the server based on the fields you have selected, so using the back button sends you back to the page and resubmits those filters using the security token that was provided at the time of your original request.

These tokens expire per user over time so you're given an error message indicating that the token is no longer valid. It does not mean that you have been logged out. It simply means that you need to go back to that page and resubmit those filters again to pull the latest data.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
Got it. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

So I recommend you trap this error and attempt to renew the token before sending me an error.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account