Looks like it's time for an External HD for my One

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 12 posts - Go to Last Post

i think B8 has some recommendations, he was talking about it the other night with one of my friends. 4TB from newegg if im not mistaken.
i think B8 has some recommendations, he was talking about it the other night with one of my friends. 4TB from newegg if im not mistaken.
Originally Posted by Preludecris
it was 5Tb and I was getting most of my info from what futiles was saying.. and I'm pretty sure I may have miss quoted him on that, I just have not taken the time to do the research just yet, hopefully soon though.. I feel like porch when he was looking for a new 360...lol..
I have two of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Book-USB-Hard-...words=4tb+usb3

And I believe Futiles uses the same one (just more of them). I believe I own about 60ish games and I'm sitting at 20% used on the one and the backup is sitting in my closet wrapped still.
I've always heard there are higher risks of failure once you get over 2TB or so. Something to do with more platters, moving parts, etc.
I'd only go for a massive drive if you really think you'll use all of that space.
Any recommendations? Anything to avoid?
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Yes, the one Kaens uses. It is what I brought with me to AF2014. Been a fantastic addition to the console. (You can have 2 per console actively. But, they can be named, so, you can disconnect and reconnect specific drives as needed.)
I've always heard there are higher risks of failure once you get over 2TB or so. Something to do with more platters, moving parts, etc.
I'd only go for a massive drive if you really think you'll use all of that space.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
BackBlaze released information about the 25,000+ massive storage drives (between 2TB - 5TB) it uses on its service. Failure rate was statistically linked to manufacturer and not disc size. Hitachi and WD were between 0.9%-1.5%, no matter which disc size. So, you are as likely to have your 2TB fail as you are to have your 4TB fail.
I haven't read the prior post but, can any external hardrive be used?
I haven't read the prior post but, can any external hardrive be used?
Originally Posted by SpectreSubZero
Yes and external HDD can be used on the Xbox One now

External Storage, Real Names and More Coming with Xbox One System update in June

Keep in mind this update was released Last Year.
As long as it supports USB 3.0. Which means you can only use the two ports in the back (as Futiles pointed out), because the one in the side for your controller/keyboard is not 3.0.
As long as it supports USB 3.0. Which means you can only use the two ports in the back (as Futiles pointed out), because the one in the side for your controller/keyboard is not 3.0.
Originally Posted by Kaens
It must also be 256GB or more. But, that is likely not an issue for most anything but someone trying to use a USB 3.0 thumb drive.
I have a 5TB Seagate Backup Plus that was the best intersection of price/storage space at the time I bought it. Now I would probably get the Seagate Expansion and save $10.

Full disclosure: the Backup Plus died in the first few weeks, but I returned it and got a new one which seems to be churning along nicely. However, it shows how reliability isn't that important. Reinstalling/redownloading the games wasn't much of a hassle, and all your backups are synched to the cloud so all I lost was a little time.
Last edited 03-25-2015 at 02:10 PM by N0RVY.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account