Reviews vs Ratings in Game Reviews

Feature Requests

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

Started
I was looking at this feature, but the tab is miss leading. For Example The Walking Dead has 45 reviews, but in actuality it only has 1 review. I know you can filter between reviews and ratings, but seeing the ratings grouped with the one review is confusing like I said. I like the rating stat block as it is and find that helpful. Under that it would look much better if it read " Found 1 Review and 45 Ratings ". Maybe add a show Reviews only button and a Ratings only button. Not sure about that idea, what do you all think??

Additionally shouldn't reviews be more then one sentence? I would want at least a small paragraph. 500 Characters? One sentence is hardly a review that would be helpful to others. I also see the review badge being very east to acquire with little effort. Here is an example for Sleeping Dogs and I am not picking on Chunky.

"pretty decent jap fighting game although i havent played much yet its an interesting take on fighters"

Why was it interesting? Please elaborate...

See where I am getting at?
I agree, the reviews total can be a bit misleading as its indicative of the number of ratings for that game. To avoid redundancy, I'm merging ratings and reviews on this page. I like your suggestion of showing X number of reviews and X number of ratings. I'm still cleaning up the reviews system, so I appreciate the input.

You will soon have the option to up vote and down vote reviews you do not find useful. This will be added in very soon. That will help shift the most helpful reviews to the top of the reviews page.
You will soon have the option to up vote and down vote reviews you do not find useful. This will be added in very soon. That will help shift the most helpful reviews to the top of the reviews page.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
That will be a good feature for the reviews.
The first part of this is done. The review tab will now display the number of reviews, and the reviews page will now display reviews by default. You can find a breakdown of the ratings for each game on the game overview page and again on the reviews page. There you will find a button to post a review or edit your review depending on whether or not you've already posted a review for that game.

You can view individual ratings for a game by clicking the Ratings tab at the top of the reviews page.

I'm currently working on the second half of this which will enable you to view a member's reviews from their profile.
think this is a good idea with the number of games on the market ,getting decent reviews from other gamers would be helpful ,but as Marvzmitt states they would need to have enough content for it to be worth while rather than just brief game chat .
Personally, I have always wanted to discount the one sentence reviews and or just not accept them on the site as reviews. I really think a review should have to have a set number of characters before it can be accepted, like 100 at minimum.
Personally, I have always wanted to discount the one sentence reviews and or just not accept them on the site as reviews. I really think a review should have to have a set number of characters before it can be accepted, like 100 at minimum.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
I have made this suggestion before, because there are a huge number of spam reviews on this due to badges. I think if a review gets a certain number of down votes, it should be removed from the site.
I have made this suggestion before, because there are a huge number of spam reviews on this due to badges. I think if a review gets a certain number of down votes, it should be removed from the site.
Originally Posted by SpectreSubZero
Good idea, but I could also see that down voting being abused as it is on other sites.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Taking away the badge for x reviews would help eliminate the one sentence reviews. A character minimum just means people will type 100 characters of gobbly gook, which is even worse than a 1 sentence review.

removing reviews due to downvotes is easily abused as well.

If you must have a badge to encourage reviews, the max number should be small, like 10. I would still nominate this and other spam-encouraging badges for removal.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account